Carmelite Monastery
Planning Consent was granted in May 2009 for the conversion of the monastery building into 27 private residential flats with 5 detached private houses and 13 affordable flats and basement parking in the grounds. The Carmelite Order had occupied the building since its construction in 1908. The nature of the Order and later enveloping development had combined to isolate the site from its surroundings. The sale of the building in 2007 triggered great interest and discussion concerning appropriate development. The neo gothic architecture of the monastery is not distinguished and proved unworthy of listing. Nevertheless it has character and the concept always envisaged retention and refurbishment. To make best use of the site new buildings were proposed in the grounds. These were constrained by the need to maintain an appropriarte setting for the monastery building and preserve mature trees. A design maintaining appropriate vistas to and fom the monastery and an architectural treatment of the new buildings derived from characteristic features of the original building was negotiated successfully with the planning authority.






   

Home