Wig and Pen
The Wig and Pen at 229 Strand was built in 1625 on Roman ruins and the only building in the Strand to survive the fire of London in 1666. It began by serving snacks to people inspecting the severed heads spiked to Temple Gate. Opposite the Law Courts and close to Fleet Street it was a famous watering hole for lawyers and journalists to exchange scurrilous gossip. It closed when newspapers dispersed to the docklands and the internet. In fact two buildings knocked together, one listed Grade 2 and the other Grade 2* by reason of a rare suspended stair the buildings had been subject to rough usage and dereliction in the top storeys. Planning and listed building consent was achieved to reuse the basement and ground floors as a restaurant and bar and convert the first floor upwards into a single house. The developer happy to invest in creating a large and quirky house in order to extend the life of this historic building.




   

Home